Erectile dysfunction is inability to achieve and maintain erection necessary to perform sexual intercourse.
The causes of erectile dysfunction in men lie in violation of one of the links that participate in erection. These include endocrine, cardiovascular and nervous systems of the body. According to Canadian Pharmacy, the main reason for occurrence of unforeseen situation is increased serum level of prolactin hormone and lowered level of testosterone hormone.
Causes of Erectile Dysfunction
Causes of erectile dysfunction may include:
- presence of diseases of thyroid and pancreas;
- presence of stressful situations;
- emergence of inferiority complex;
- state of overwork;
- presence of brain injuries and diseases;
- presence of inflammatory diseases of urogenital system, which disrupt function of nerve receptors;
- presence of injuries and inflammation of peripheral organs and spinal cord;
- psychological climate that has developed between partners;
- established relationships between partners;
- presence of disorders and diseases of functions of cardiovascular system (low blood pressure, hypertension, myocardial infarction, arteriosclerosis of blood vessels);
- surgical interventions;
- presence of diagnosis of diabetes;
- presence of hypertension;
- presence of severe stomatological diseases;
- presence of chronic intoxications;
- insufficient number of animal proteins, observed due to malnutrition;
- sexual abstinence. If ejaculation is absent for quite a long period of time (from a week), then in the male body production of sex hormones begins to be suppressed. If a man is young, it will not have effect on sexual function, and if a man is over forty, this can lead to the fact that sexual life will completely stop.
Signs and Symptoms of Erectile Dysfunction
Manifestation of initial signs of erectile dysfunction is possible in more than 30% of members of the stronger sex who are between 18 and 59 years of age. The first signs of erectile dysfunction in men are:
- absence of erection. In this case, there may be no adequate, and spontaneous morning and night erections. In absence of adequate erection, but preservation of spontaneous, there is a high probability that impotence has psychological character. If simultaneous violation of both adequate and spontaneous erectile function is noted, specialists diagnose organic form of the disease;
- presence of weak erection. One of important symptoms of erectile dysfunction is reduction of rigidity and frequency of appearance of erections. This group also includes insufficient hardness of penis during sexual intercourse. Impotence in this case may indicate presence of neurogenic, vascular, hormonal and other organic disorders. More rarely, its appearance is associated with psychological problems;
- inability to maintain erection. Onset of premature ejaculation is possible if the disease has organic character and in most cases this symptom is associated with vascular disorders. When detecting psychogenic impotence, premature ejaculation is observed quite rarely.
Experts found that in 9 out of 10 cases, appearance of sexual disorders is associated with unfavorable psychological factors.
Diagnosis of Impotence
When there are signs of impotence, men need operative diagnosis and a number of medical measures. In this case, there is a need to develop a system for prevention of erectile dysfunction. Diagnosis of impotence can be carried out in several stages.
Psychological condition. At the first visit patient is questioned by doctor about problems in sexual life. Identification of symptoms of impotence is carried out after patient fills in a special questionnaire – International Index of Erectile Function (IIEF-5), which includes 5 simple questions. Based on answers, expert can assess degree of impotence, choose prevention and treatment.
Great importance in diagnosis of erectile dysfunction belongs to performance of analysis of patient’s psychological state. The doctor finds out what patient’s relationship with sexual partner is, what kind of reaction is manifested by both of them to erectile dysfunction. Effective treatment and prevention of impotence can not be prescribed unless presence or absence of anxious and depressive conditions is determined in a man. A more effective treatment in these cases will be not medical treatment of erectile dysfunction, but seeking treatment at neurologist or psychotherapist.
Equally important is medical history, since development of organic forms of impotence occurs on the background of regular medication or surgical intervention. Collection of medical history is necessary in order to be able to identify these actions and their effect on the body of a man. In addition, history indicates information about systemic and chronic diseases, bad habits, radiation therapy on pelvic organs, etc.
Medical examination. Diagnosis of impotence involves conducting physical examination, during examination by doctor physique of patient is assessed, with special attention paid to degree of severity of secondary sexual characteristics. The survey pursues one of the main tasks – identification of problems that have connection with malfunctioning of thyroid gland. During medical examination of external genital organs, condition of scrotum is determined, possible changes in shape of penis. To determine inflammation prostate is examined rectally. Due to physical examination, it is possible to establish causes and extent of erectile dysfunction.
Tests. Diagnosis of erectile dysfunction includes conducting laboratory tests involving ultrasound and radioisotope scanning, measuring blood pressure in vessels of penis. The most effective method for detecting signs of impotence is observation of spontaneous nocturnal erections. Their duration is normally not less than 20% of total sleep time. With reduced rigidity, percentage of erections increases significantly with age.
Methods of Treatment of Erectile Dysfunction
If the first symptoms of erectile dysfunction occur, Canadian Family Pharmacy recommends immediately seek help from a doctor specializing in male sexual dysfunction. Such doctors include andrologist and sex therapist. Adequate treatment of impotence can be selected by a specialist after diagnosis and establishment of nature of erectile dysfunction. Methods of treatment of erectile dysfunction caused by endocrine insufficiency are associated with stimulation of testosterone. In absence of positive effect of treatment for three months, transition to substitution therapy is recommended. Do not forget that when you introduce this hormone from the outside, your own testosterone can be suppressed, resulting in man’s dependence on exogenous hormone.